Friday, January 9, 2009

Belated New Year's resolutions

Punctuality is NOT one of them.

A trainer friend of mine recently blogged about dog training/goal resolutions, and I thought that would be a good idea. I talk about all the things I want to do with my dogs (agility, flyball, rally, freestyle, DockDogs, DiscDogs), but I never do them. If I start, I don't stick with them for long. So I posted my resolution on her blog, with directions for her to hold me accountable. Maybe if I post them, my two faithful readers will also help hold me accountable.

For years, I've been in love with the idea of training at least one of my dogs as a therapy dog. Last year I learned about a local library program that encourages children to read by reading to therapy dogs. I've decided 2009 is the year Duke does this. Tomorrow Duke starts a Canine Good Citizen (CGC) class, and hopefully will pass the test after a month of classes. From there, I will be working on Delta Society registration. It requires a course (either a one day workshop or at home study), a vet check, and a team evaluation. After that, we just register for the library program.

I want Coral to get her CGC as well, but she is a bit more spastic than Duke when we're out in public, so I need to work on her manners a bit first. Eventually, I may work on her Delta Society registration too, but I don't know if I would get that done in 2009. We'll see though.

No comments: