Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Dark and White Chocolate Napoleons


Otherwise known as "How to clog your arteries in three easy steps." It's chocolate mousse sandwiched between layers of chocolate phyllo. The individual parts are tasty on their own, but amazing together. It's not a difficult recipe, but I did manage to make an impressive mess in the kitchen. But I just seem to have a knack for that. That's the real reason I don't take pictures of the actual baking process, I don't want people to know just how big of a mess I make.

I use clarified butter for the phyllo. The recipe calls for just melted unsalted butter, but Alton Brown says it's better to use clarified butter because removing all the water and milk solids is better for the phyllo. And you don't argue with Alton Brown. Just do what the man tells you. I also learned that clarified butter has a much higher smoke point than regular butter...which means you can cook with it more easily than regular butter. Nom, nom!

So I found this video by The Seasoned Cook and opted to slowly melt 2 sticks of butter over low heat, skim off the milk solids, and then ladle off 4 oz of the clarified butter for the recipe. Then I whisked in 1/4 cup Dutch-processed cocoa power, and I was ready to go. Brush some of the butter on parchment paper, and place a sheet of phyllo on top. Brush with more butter, add another layer of phyllo. Repeat for 4 layers of phyllo. (I was supposed to sprinkle a little sugar on between layers, but I forgot, so I just sprinkled it liberally on both sides of the stacks before baking.) Refrigerate until the butter solidifies (30 minutes) and cut into 2 by 3 inch rectangles with a pizza wheel. Place a silicone baking mat over the phyllo to keep it flat and bake for 10 minutes at 350.



Dark and White Chocolate Napoleons
Source: Chocolate Epiphany by François Payard

Recipe can be found here, on page 30 and 31.

No comments: